Cinnamon is a spice obtained from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cinnamomum. Cinnamon is used mainly as an aromatic condiment and flavoring additive in a wide variety of cuisines, sweet and savoury dishes, breakfast cereals, snackfoods, tea and traditional foods. The aroma and flavour of cinnamon derive from its essential oil and principal component, cinnamaldehyde, as well as numerous other constituents, including eugenol.
Two main types of Cinnamon :
- Ceylon cinnamon:Also known as “true” cinnamon.
- Cassia cinnamon:The more common variety today and what people generally refer to as “cinnamon.”
Health benefits :
- It is loaded with Antioxidants .
- It has anti-inflammatory properties .
- It may cut the risk of Heart diseases .
- It can improve sensitivity to Hormone Insulin .
- It lowers Blood Sugar Levels and has a powerful Anti-Diabetic effect.
- It may have beneficial effects on Neurodegenerative Diseases (Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease are two of the most common types)
- It may protect against Cancer .
- It helps fight against Bacterial and Fungal Infections .
- It may help fight the HIV Virus .